Introduction

This section includes a series of spreadsheets on the details of my rides outlined by day and month. Also included are spreadsheets for my volunteer work and travel plans.

Solitaires Explained


For years I looked for people with whom to cycle tour. And generally, I have failed. Cyclists today kit themselves out as if they're going on a race... and primarily ride under some similar fantasy. It's all rather silly and somewhat sad to see.

I have absolutely ZERO desire to worry over my cycling speed or cadence or heart rate or any of the other "cycling features" being promoted by the likes of Strava and chased by the majority of today's cycling hord. It's all so shallow and uninteresting.

Why do I cycle?
Good question! I cycle to go places and see the world at eye level; to be out-of-doors experiencing nature at a speed that encourages direct engagement. I want to take the time to meet people and see beautiful places. I want to stop when I feel like it and look at whatever intrigues me - from historical architecture to beetles crawling at the edge of the tarmac.



What's a Solitaire?
My working definition; "Solitaires" are solo rides ranging from 100 kms to 300 kms. I've designated eight distances that qualify as "Solitaires" with the minimum distance L'audacieux at 100 kilometers (62.13 miles or a metric century...) and the longest Le Meilleur at 300 kms. Then there's a bunch of other titles for other distances in between I've created just for fun.



The main consideration is that all of these rides are solitary rides. Any rides made with groups or other individual riders are excluded from this category regardless of the distances. And that's all that's to it.



Why not just do Audaxes?
A surprising thing has happened; after all those years of cycling around by myself and despite the popularity of Sportives and Gran Fondos and Audaxes... I prefer it on my own. Weird, but true. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy going out with others and seldom turn down a group ride, but getting out on my own holds a special charm.

My first year of "Solitaires":

 


Ads Inside Post